Sunday, 7 April 2013

Yet another "waiting for meds" post, this time with bunnies

As the title suggests, I am waiting for meds. It is currently 8:15 pm and meds has just been pushed back from 9:00pm to 10:00pm. I don't feel great at the moment, haven't been great for a long time. I asked if I could talk to someone and have been told to wait. I asked at 7:00pm. I think I'll be waiting a long time too because, once again, they are short staffed. There are three nurses for 18 patients.

At least I'm cosy in my new bunny onesie that I got from Tesco.

But, seriously, the point of this evenings post: my confusion as to what the staff think of me. And not in the "oh she's pretty" or "oh she has a nice onesie". I want to know if they think I'm ok or not. Because I know the answer from my perspective but I don't know if the picture on their jigsaw puzzle matched the image on my box.
Most of the time I keep myself to myself, stay in my room. I only really talk to the staff to have my phone charged or if I need to go to the shop. That's all they see of me. So how can they know what's going on with me?
The nurse in charge today told me as soon as my clozapine is titrated I'll be discharged. Like, just like that. Regardless of how I feel.
What do I think the reason is? It's the "personality disorder" tag line.

I was diagnosed as having a personality disorder when I was seventeen but as time has gone on, I fit the "diagnostic criteria" less and less. And for those who have a true personality disorder, it is there all the time. Whereas with me, I only fit some of the criteria when I'm very distressed. But that doesn't matter to the staff in psychiatric hospitals, for them, personality disorder=lowlife scum and they can't see past this.

My usual psychiatrist acknowledges that I do sometimes fit the criteria for a personality disorder. But that the schizoaffective part is more prominent. A lot of the behaviours that led to the PD (can't be bothered to keep typing personality disorder) I am sure were due to the fact that I was still maturing.

To the staff at this hospital, I am fine. There is nothing wrong with me. I don't hear voices. I do not get paranoid. I am just emotionally unstable (even though my mood has been stable since I've been here).

So I suffer in silence, voices, paranoia all overwhelming me. No-one knows. No-one cares. And unless something changes, this is how I'll stay. I can't change their attitudes towards me.

And, for the record, I'm still waiting.

Help.

No comments:

Post a Comment